Guidance and Counselling is a special service aimed at helping students deal with their lives now and in the future. ‘Guidance’ refers mainly to work with class groups where more general topics are dealt with while ‘Counselling’ is by appointment enabling the student to discuss more private topics in confidentiality.
Guidance in the school includes a number of core areas which are outlined below.
Activities for Guidance Counsellor
- Individual Consultation with the parents at the request of either part of through referral from other school staff
- Individual consultations with students by student/teacher request.
- Attend Parent Teacher Meetings
- Explain Guidance counsellor’s role to parents of First Year Students.
- Distribution of Information brochure to parents
- Help with subject choice for second year
- Explain senior cycle courses and subject choice
- Explain options after the Leaving Certificate including CAO and points system